7 Watchposts: Thursday
Thursday – Lord’s Prayer
Today’s prayer is unique from the rest of the week’s prayers. You have been praying around different themes (people, ministries, mission, etc.) But today we take our Lord Jesus’ very prayer and apply it to our church.
Read – Matthew 6:9-14
• Our Father in Heaven, Hallowed be your name – Pray that everything we do as a church family would be motivated by a deep reverence to our Holy God. That his Name, His reputation, His worth, and His glory be cherished, loved, protected, exalted, and pursued. That our church would come to know and trust God as our Heavenly Father. That we would be a people marked by a “holy fear” of God’s majesty, yet would boldly approach Him as our Father.
• Your kingdom come, your will be done on earth, as it is on heaven – Pray that the Lord would help us not only discern His will for us, but help us love and want it. Pray that the Spirit would lead us to submit to his authority as Creator and Lord. That we would be a people characterized by an earnest dependence on God’s guidance, an eagerness to follow his wisdom, and a quick, humble, and joyful heart that gladly yields to His sovereignty.
• Give us this day our daily bread – Pray that we would be a people that grow in our dependence on our God to meet our needs. That our people would grow to trust in God’s ability and desire to meet our needs. **Pray for any specific need you may be aware of in our midst. **
• Forgive us of our debts as we forget our debtors – Pray that God would make us people marked by humility and grace. That ‘love would cover a multitude of sins’. That the Spirit would lead our people to see, each other, interact with each other, speak with each other, serve each other, sacrifice for each other, love each other, and forgive each other as Christ has done for us.
• And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil – Pray that as God’s word is a ‘lamp unto our feet’, that the Spirit Himself would take us by the hand and guide us through the darkness of this world into the light of God. That our church would grow to love, prefer, and find joy in God’s righteous ways, and that sin would seem hideous, corrupting, corrosive, destructive, repulsive, and evil. Pray for protection from the evil one, from the one who roams around like a roaring lion. That the true lion – the Lion of Judah would keep us safe from the tempter, and lead us safely to green pastures.